Top Schools for Health Care Administration
Healthcare administration programs are typically found at the master’s or doctoral degree level, and are available at many highly rated schools.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
In general, degree programs in healthcare administration are offered at the graduate level and can lead to a Master of Public Health (MPH), Master of Health Services Administration or Doctor of Public Health (DrPH). Programs can be found at the four national universities below, which include the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, Boston University in Boston, MA and University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, an Ivy League school. All four schools are highly ranked by U.S. News World Report.
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
School Highlight: The University of Michigan was ranked first among healthcare management programs in 2016 by U.S. News World Report .
The department offers graduate degrees in healthcare administration, including a Master of Healthcare Administration and a variety of Master of Public Health programs. Undergraduate students interested in a career in healthcare administration can take advantage of the school’s summer enrichment program.
University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
School Highlight: The University of North Carolina offers a Cancer Care Quality Training Program.
The University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill is a large public school that includes the Gillings School of Global Public Health, which U.S. News World Report ranked tied at fifth for its healthcare management program in 2016. The university offers an MHA program, available to residential full-time and executive part-time students. A a residential Doctor of Public Health program is also available.
University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA
School Highlight: An undergraduate concentration in healthcare management and policy is offered by the University of Pennsylvania.
The University of Pennsylvania, one of eight Ivy League schools in the country, ranked tied at 8th among national universities by U.S. News World Report for 2017. The Health Care Management Department is located in the Wharton School of Business. It offers an undergraduate concentration in healthcare management and policy, a Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Health Care Management and a Ph.D. in Health Care Management and Economics. The University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business is home to five facilities used by the Health Care Management department including the Center for Health Management and Economics.
Boston University in Boston, MA
School Highlight: A night-time MBA program with Health Sector Management certificate is available.
Boston University was ranked tied at 39th among national universities by U.S. News World Report for 2017. The school offers a full-time health sector MBA, as well as MBA+MD and MBA+MPH joint degrees. A mentoring program is available.
Top Healthcare Administration Schools
Other top healthcare administration schools include:
- Columbia University in New York, NY, has a campus-based Healthcare Industry Association (HCIA).
- Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, offers a 5-year Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science (B.A./B.S.) and an MHA fast-track program.
- Located in Baltimore, MD, Johns Hopkins University has the Seasonal Health Policy and Management Institutes.
- Northwestern University in Evanston, IL, has a Health Enterprise Management Mentor Program.
- Located in Minneapolis, MN, the University of Minnesota’s Master of Health Care Administration program ranked tied at third by U.S. News World Report in 2016.
- At the University of Washington in Seattle, WA, 94% of graduates found employment in the field within 3 months of graduation.
When choosing a healthcare administration program at a top school, students may consider options that include program flexibility, degree options, and mentoring opportunities.
Next: View Schools